The Academy Director is responsible for implementing a powerful vision for student achievement, motivating others to follow that vision, and executing on that vision through effective planning, leadership, and management. The Academy Director has a deep understanding of high-leverage instructional strategies and is a skilled instructional coach and manager. He or she establishes data-driven academic and culture systems that include sustainability and accountability measures. The Academy Director is willing to roll up his or her sleeves to build a school community where students, staff, and families are motivated and empowered to partner in preparing students for college and beyond.
The Academy Director, in collaboration with Network Leadership, leads, manages, and oversees all functions of his or her respective school, including, but not limited to:
• Implements the organization’s shared instructional vision and plan that is standards-driven, focused on high quality teaching and learning, and aligned with organizational goals
• Collaborates with Network Instructional Specialists to develop and implement goals, coaching plans and ongoing progress monitoring strategies for teaching staff.
• Facilitates the use of research-based teaching strategies to identify and address the needs of teachers and provides direct coaching/evaluation to academic deans and teachers
• Consistently analyzes teacher practice through ongoing classroom observations, data analysis, and examination of student work
• Develops and implements a robust data strategy, that includes analyzing student data and outcomes to inform instructional planning, and implementation/monitoring of tiered interventions
• Co-plans and co-leads differentiated professional development and communities of practice for instructional staff
• Prepares for, implements and monitors the progress and impact of critical Network processes that ensure all students are growing and succeeding academically (i.e. grading practice conferences, SSP, TTLC, lesson plan submission and review etc.)
• Monitors curriculum implementation to ensure the appropriate grade-level rigor for all classes
• Ensures all students (ie general ed, SWIEPS and EL) are receiving the services necessary to meet and exceed grade-level learning standards.
• Works with the Executive Director of Schools and their school leadership team to prepare operational and management plans that guide their work for the school year.
• Ensuring the day to day work and operations of the school are sustained impervious to staff leave and transitions.
• Models the highest levels of personal and professional trust and credibility with staff and students
• Holds staff accountable for high quality job performance and modeling organizational values
• Builds capacity in direct reports to operate strategically (ie- interpret and use data, implementing targeted interventions, facilitating high-impact meetings and professional development).
• Identifies and develops emerging leaders through goal setting, coaching, job-embedded opportunities for growth, and regular feedback
• In collaboration with the Assistant Director of Culture, Climate and Support, develops, implements, and monitors a school-wide culture plan (aligned to SEL framework) that includes routines and expectations for students and staff in and outside of the classroom
• Institutes and monitors systems to ensure a student-centered environment focused on trust, collaboration, and high expectations
• Creates inclusive environments that honor, support and embrace anti-racism, diversity, equity and inclusion practices
• Ensures consistent and timely communication with families regarding the progress of scholars.
• Creates and models a culture of high expectations and accountability where the staff collaborate and work as dedicated members of a team
• Actively participates in activities, both during school and after hours, that foster connections with families, students, and community groups
• Models “CHAMPS” leadership during interactions with staff, students, families, and community members
• Ensures consistent and timely communication with staff to facilitate advance planning and preparation for scholars, as well as ensure aligned organizational messaging.
• Collaborates with the ED of Operations and business manager to set and manage a budget that reflects organization, pre-planning, timely submission of orders and ensures fiscal solvency
• Manages all parts of the school’s daily operations (e.g. arrival/dismissal, lunch/recess, school trips, etc.)