What is the My School DC Common Application?
The common application is a single online application families must use to apply for participating public charter schools (PK3–12), DCPS out-of-boundary schools (K–12), all DCPS PK3 and PK4 programs, and DCPS specialized high schools (9–12). On each student’s application, a family lists school choices in preferred order — their 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice, and so on. Each student can apply to as few as one or as many as 12 total schools.
What is the My School DC Common Lottery?
The My School DC common lottery is a single, random lottery that determines placement for new students at all participating schools.
If I apply early, will my child have a better chance of being admitted?
No. There is no advantage to applying early for either being matched with a school or placement on waitlists. Just submit your child’s application by the deadline for his or her grade. The deadlines are February 1, 2018, for grades 9–12 and March 1, 2018, for grades PK3–8.
Does the order in which I rank my choices affect my lottery results?
Yes. You will only be matched to schools you list, and the lottery system works to match students with their 1st choice, then their 2nd choice, and so on through the student’s list. For this reason, it is important that you rank your list of schools in the order you prefer.
What is the process for applying to Paul PCS?
Families will use the My School DC common application, available on this site beginning December 11, 2017, to apply to Paul PCS. For each child, you can apply to as few as one school, as many as 12 schools, or any number in between. (You cannot apply to more than 12 schools.)
Before starting your first application, you will create a family account. Use this account to create, save, edit, and submit applications for every child in your family applying to a new school. You also will use this account to see your lottery results.
After creating your family account, create a separate application for each child in your family who is applying to attend a new school. For each application, you will be asked to:
- Set up a family account and create a separate application for each child in your family who is applying to attend a new school.
- Select the schools your student is applying to. List the schools in the order of your preference — your 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice, and so on.
- If needed, complete the DCPS specialized high school section of the My School DC application. (This step is only for students applying to a DCPS specialized high school.)
- Confirm your choices and submit your application.
Where do I find the application?
The application is available at MySchoolDC.org.
Can I get a paper copy of the application for Paul PCS?
No. The application is only available online.
When and how can I learn about the results of the application process?
There are several ways to learn your lottery results:
- You can log in to your family account to see your lottery results on March 30, 2018.
- If you used an email address to create your My School DC family account, you also will receive your lottery results by email.
- In early April, My School DC will send all families a letter with their lottery results.
- Each school will contact students who were matched with the school in the lottery. The schools will provide details about how to enroll and what happens next.
My School DC and the schools will use the email, phone, and address you provided to contact you about results. If your contact information changes, please let My School DC know as soon as possible. If you have questions, please call the My School DC Hotline, 202-888-6336.